Tuesday, July 25, 2006

I’ve been doing it all wrong…

Eye opening, but not too surprising: This paper essentially argues that bike commuting isn’t as beneficial for the environment as you might think because it increases longevity, and during that time you use more resources than everyone else who ate sat around eating potato chips and dropped dead early. Combine this with Kate’s recent post about how much energy cars really consume and my world is upside down.

It’s pretty clear to me now that I should stop bike commuting, get a Hummer (actually, probably a Scion) and chow down. It is a relief actually. Every time I’m about to head out for a ride I’m faced with the question: should I ride or stay home and eat jelly beans? In my mind, jelly beans are one of the most perfect foods on earth, right up there with peanut butter (no, I’m not a fan of peanut butter jelly beans). The decision is so much easier now! I don’t have to go out and ride for a few hours just to enjoy some fresh beans. I can grab the jar, head over to the couch and call it a day. Hell, since I don’t have air conditioning, I could even take the jelly beans into my huge air conditioned SUV and drive around for the afternoon. This is going to be awesome.

2 Comments:

At 11:05 AM, Blogger Tuco said...

Good post man, good post.
Us cyclists, we're totally destroying the earth - that's exactly what's on my mind when I'm looking at all the steel cages of death go by in the morning.

Try http://tucorides.blogspot.com
for some canadian cycling / commuting stories if you get a chance.
Peace.

 
At 3:22 PM, Blogger Jim Carson said...

Interesting. So my calculations last year showing a $33 net savings from bike commuting were apparently incorrect. Pass the butter cookies.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home