Friday, April 21, 2006

Status

Normally I'd be writing regularly about the goings on in the NW peloton, but I really haven't been racing too much. I did the first two races of the season and then hit yet another motivational wall. It's been very hard to find balance between family and racing. In fact, just last week I pretty much decided I would hang up my shoes for the season. Now I can't figure out what to do.

I think the weather has certainly played a role. When Saturday comes around and I have the choice between driving 2 hours to race in the rain or hang out with my son.. well.. the choice is obvious. On the other hand, things have cleared up around here recently and I had one of the most enjoyable training rides I've had in recent memory. Additionally, last night I went to a criterium in Seward Park and had a great time. So now I'm all excited about racing again.

The most difficult thing has been accepting that it is ok to not be the best. Ok, I was never the best, but I always felt like my fitness was improving and that everytime I showed up at a race I had a chance at winning. Now I'm less confident. I tend to approach these things with an all or nothing attitude, which probably isn't healthy.

So, I guess I'll just take it day by day. I'll race when I want and try to just enjoy it. This is going to be tough. :)

2 Comments:

At 1:44 PM, Anonymous darren said...

hey Doug, good seeing you again yesterday. I know exactly how you feel about driving 2 hours or staying home with your son. I went through it myself 2 years ago. I took time off, but now I'm back, and slower than ever.

Sometimes I still feel like staying home. Don't feel bad, remember racing is just something we do for fun, and if it's not fun anymore. . . anytime if you want to talk shop (diapers & car seats) shoot me an email.

 
At 11:55 AM, Anonymous Randy Marrs said...

Hey Brother, I just found your site. Pretty cool it is.

Ur doing the right thing hanging with your kid, u won't regret it. Racing isn't going away, u can hit it next year or the next, etc...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home