Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Season Opener

Last weekend was the first race of the season!

Ok, I hesitate to put that exclamation point since I came into the day after hitting a real motivational wall. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with me, but I simply didn't want to ride anymore. There were probably several factors involved: having a baby around, putting in too much base training (I started last September), etc. So, I took (most of) the week off leading up to the race to chill out, relax and figure out what I wanted to do.

Come race day I was a bit nervous. Sure, I had been training all winter, but differently than last year. Also, this was to be my first race since last August and these opening races are notoriously dicey. Fortunately the category 5 riders were split into their own field, so my race was a bit more civilized.

Anyway, the race itself was a 48 mile, relatively flat race around Mason Lake (near Belfair, WA). In the opening miles of the race I felt good, quite good actually. An early break formed that contained one of my teammates so I hung back and did what I could do to slow down the chase. I never thought the break would last long, but it did. Well, one guy did.. all the way to the win. Unfortunately my teammate popped inside of the last kilometer and the field passed him. I went on to finish with the field. Nothing spectacular, but nice to get out and stretch the legs a bit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home