Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Mason Lake #2

This one really falls under the "better late than never" category since the race was like 2 or 3 weeks ago. Let's see.. it was another 4 laps around the same damn lake. My teammate and I were planning to try and early break to see what would happen. Just after the first corner a guy when streaking off the front solo and disappeared into the distance. I wanted to try an early break, but not that early! We figured we'd go for it on the second lap, but unfortunately when that time rolled around the peloton decided it was time to bring this guy back. With the pace we were pushing there was no way we could get off the front so we just took turns working at the front and eventually brought the guy back.

At some point after this a couple guys managed to jump off the front while the everyone else was resting. My legs were pretty cooked so I just hung in until the end... nothing great to speak of except solid training.

Unfortunately I've had to miss the last two weekends of racing due to other obligations, but there are some kickass one day races coming up in the next few weeks so stay tuned.

2 Comments:

At 2:44 PM, Anonymous Brian said...

I'm waiting to see how I feel next week (and to see if I can get a ride from work) to maybe do the first race of the Seward Park Thursday night crit. race series (though I don't know how I'll feel since I've never done a mass start race before - at least not one on the road).

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger Doug W said...

Seward park crits are both good and bad. On one hand they are informal and a good way to get your feet wet. On the other, they are some of the most dangerous racing I've come across, especially in the early race since it is filled with beginners.

My advice would be to go to the free clinic at 5pm to learn about crit racing then do the 5:30 race. It might be hairy, but you can always sit at the back if you don't feel comfortable. Just get the feel for being a pack and moving around.. you don't need to go for the glory on your first night. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home