Monday, January 02, 2006

Hangin' Out on the Early Adopter Curve

I used to think I was an early adopter. The fact of the matter is, I'm not. Not with most things anyway. For example, I've only started looking at HDTV seriously for the first time and I just set up Vonage. Even though this isn't exactly news, I figured the perspective of these products from a difference place on the curve might be interesting.

Vonage... so far so good. I picked up the trial kit at Best Buy yesterday and had it running in no time. I made a couple of calls and everything just worked and sounded great. I guess you can't ask for more than that. I'll be curious to see how it works when there is some network congestion.

Vonage sounds really great on paper. Good features, great price. So, why did I wait? Simple, 911 service. When I first looked at them a while back, 911 was still in the works. With a newborn in the house, 911 was a requirement, so I waited. I'm still a little nervous about my phone service being dependent on my internet connection and power, but I'm willing to take the risk. Generally, my internet connection is fine and my power service only flickers once in a while. I suppose if anything really goes wrong I can run to a neighbors house.

Next time I'll cover my explorations into HDTV.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home