Saturday, November 19, 2005

Safe Cycling Tips #1

Now that I've been commuting a lot I've been thinking much more about how to be safe on the road. So I figured I'd put together some of my observations in a series of posts. The usual caveats apply: these are observations, non scientific fact.. use them at your own risk. If you disagree, let me know. :)

Ok, tip #1: Listen

Your ears can tell you so much about what is going on around you. Listen to the cars coming up behind you. Do you hear a diesel engine? If so, be scared. It might be a bus or large truck that takes up a large part of the lane and has gigantic mirrors. Just the other day I heard the familiar diesel sound and looked back to see a huge garbage truck heading toward me. Since the road barely had a shoulder I briefly jumped off into the grass and avoided a close encounter with low flying mirrors.

Do you hear the whine of one of those souped up Honda Civics? Might be a teenager who cares more about looking cool in his tricked out car than making sure you get home safe.

What about the rumble of big knobby tires or the whine of a turbo? You can draw your on conclusions on how to handle these situations, but listen up and be safe (er).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home