Monday, April 18, 2005

Seward Park Spring Classic

This weekend was supposed to be a pretty intense weekend of racing, but unfortunately it didn't work out that way.

On Saturday, I was planning to attend the Tahuya-Seabeck-Tahuya race. This has been rated the best race in Washington, and at 65 hilly miles, promised to be grueling. I've been battling a slight ilness for weeks and have noticed my motivation slowing a bit. I woke up Satuday to pouring rain and gave in. The idea of riding that far in the rain with no teammates had me thinking, "why do I do this?". I didn't even bother with my 3.5 hour training ride Saturday, I just threw in the towel.

I was feeling a bit more motivated Sunday morning, so I headed to Seattle for a criterium at Seward park. It wasn't raining and one of my teammates showed up. I also think I might have recruited a new teammate. Simply put, I had a blast. Having a few friends and decent weather really made all the difference. I suddenly remembered why I enjoy this sport. Hell, I even had the motivation to throw in a training ride after the race.

As for the crit. I started off exactly as I did last year, by getting flat on the ride to the race. Yay, panic! I got that fixed and headed for the lineup. Last year I let myself slip back and got dropped when the field started to string out. This year I stayed up front for the duration of the event (40 minutes). On the last lap I missed the led out acceleration by a hair, but stepped on the gas and managed a respectable finish -- top 15 I think, but the results are posted past top 10.

Ok, I think I have some motivation back, now back to training. :) This is probably a good thing since next weekend is a long stage race.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home