Saturday, March 05, 2005

Mason Lake Road Race

For many people, myself included, today officially opened racing season with the Mason Lake Road Race. Mason Lake is situated southwest of Seattle in the Hood Canal area. For the curious, here is a Google Maps link to play with.

The Cat 4 race started at 9:30 this morning and called for 3 laps of the 12 mile circuit around the lake. I think the race went quite well. The pace was absolutely blistering. We covered the 36 miles in about 1:26, giving an average speed of above 25 mph. I felt good and managed to stay with the lead group despite several breaks in the peloton. Unfortunately, with about 2km to go on the last lap I got caught behind a crash in the lead group and wasn't able to catch back up. Ah well.. it was the first race of the season, and is pretty much a training event, so no big deal.

Next weekend we'll be back at the same location, but will do another lap, for a total of 48 miles. Should be fun! I can only hope the unusually warm weather around here sticks around.

2 Comments:

At 1:30 PM, Anonymous Hans said...

Watch out for those early season crashes. Crunched a frame a couple of years ago at the first criterium of the year. Some loser lost control and swerved all the way from the left side of the road to the right side where he slid out directly in my path. This is a good time to ride smart and let the early season knuckle heads bash it out.

 
At 3:47 PM, Blogger Doug W said...

I totally agree, just not worth the risk this early in the season. I was a bit ticked about the wreck though. A good chunk of the field had been dropped, figured we might be safe. I guess we didn't get rid of all the knuckleheads.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home