Wednesday, February 16, 2005

The Unthinkable

[ reposting ]

It's hard to believe. I still haven't quite internalized it myself, but it happened. I was hit by a car. Here's how it all went down.

After being away for a week and spending my time running (in between eating all that yummy holiday food) I was anxious to get back on the bike. So, Thursday morning I set out for a loop around Lake Sammamish, a route I am intimitately familiar with. About halfway around the lake I was at the 1 hour point in my ride and was looking forward to enjoying my PowerBar went it all went bad. As I was approaching an intersection with no light I noticed a car was starting to make a left right in front of me. The road had was a slight downhill at this point and was wet. I figure I was doing at least 20 mph. When I realized the driver didn't see me it was already too late. I slammed on my brakes, but my wet rims weren't providing much stopping power. The car continued to turn and I knew was about to happen. I slammed into the front of the car and landed next to the driver's door.

Right after hitting the ground I got up, did a quick survey to make sure everything important was still attached (it was) and looked back at my bike. It was lying at the front of the car literally in two pieces. The frame had snapped completely in half. I was in shock at the severity of the damage and amazed I wasn't in a similar condition.

Fortunately, a FedEx driver was at the intersection and witnessed the whole event. She immediately called 911 and stayed with me until help arrived. After going through the usual book keeping with the police I went to the hospital to get checked out, just as a precaution. Turns out I am just fine. I have some bruises on my left side (the one I landed on) and a nice dent in my helmet (never leave home without it!), but that's it. I am very lucky.

So what now? Well, I'm not going to let this stop me. In fact, I borrowed a friend's bike and was out riding today. I've also started shopping for new bikes... but that will be the topic of another post. In the mean time, here are some pics I took of the bike after the accident (and you thought camera phones were just for identity theft and dirty old men):


3 Comments:

At 8:36 AM, Blogger Our Trinitone Blast said...

Wow. That's a major hit.

About 5 years ago I got hit on my old winter bike (Bridgestone MB-2), dude came out of a blind alley and didn't stop and din't look and I knew I was going to take the hit.

At the last minute I jumped up off the bike, the bike went under the car and I came down on the hood hard and crumpled it (the car was a newer Mustang) badly and rolled off as the dude slowed to a crawl but kept going like he was going to pull away.

I landed half in the alley and he couldn't get away because of traffic so when I saw he was trying to drive off I grabbed a brick and smashed every window out on the sid eof the car facing me.

I figure I got the better end of that deal. An insured older Bridgestone for 2 windows and a hood on a new car. Hope it cost him plenty.

Evil? Maybe. He's the one who tried to frive off though...

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger Doug W said...

Nice. :) Sounds like you were lucky though.

 
At 11:30 PM, Anonymous Mike Eddy said...

Hi Doug, wow, I can't believe you walked away from that. As a former cat 1, world champion, and the victim of many of my own crashes I have seen plenty of broken bikes, but none split through the top and down tubes, especially a Cannondale! Can you enter this story asap (before thurs 3/24/05 preferred, final vote is 4/11) at http://LakeSammFriends.Org to help us get bike lanes on wlsp? You can contact me through there. Good luck with the rest of the racing!
-Mike

 

Post a Comment

<< Home