Friday, February 11, 2005

HID Headlights

I use a high end HID headlight for riding at night. If you've seen cars who's headlights have a blueish tint and are very bright, then you know what I'm talking about. My bike headlight uses the same technology. I got it because I sometimes ride on roads and trails with absolutely zero light.

However, once in a while I find myself getting yelled at by other bikers. Last night, on a trail, some guy screamed at me "Your light sucks!". I guess this is the cycling equivalent of flashing your high beams at someone, or more likely, giving them the finger. I assume people aren't happen that my light is so bright. Did I violate some kind of biker ettiquete? What are the unwritten rules on this one?

4 Comments:

At 8:16 PM, Anonymous Greg Pfeil said...

I assume your light isn't just aimed too high? I had a plain-jane light on my (now stolen) bike, and if I jarred it, sometimes the light would move, and I wouldn't notice until some oncoming cyclist yelled at me. *shrug*

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger Jim Carson said...

I'd agree, maybe your light is aimed too high. (per chance do you wear it on your helmet?) Then again, it's not that much effort to tilt one's helmet down to silhouette the oncoming bright light. I do this with car headlights when coming down 212th Ave SE.

 
At 11:50 AM, Anonymous Hans said...

I have a HID helmet light and I always try to aim it away or shield the light with my hand when I come upon another cyclist. A car on the other hand, gets full blast! :')

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger Doug W said...

The light is mounted on my handlebars and I don't think it is pointed too high. I think the HID lights are simply too bright for certain situations. In this particular case I was on a paved trail where the passing space is very close. Since then I've either pointed it away or put my hand over it when passing and people have thanked me.

Of course, as Hans said, cars get full blast. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home