Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Cannondale R5000 Impressions

I wouldn't make a good bike reviewer. Many of the bikes I've ridden feel the same to me, so I'm clearly not good at picking up the subtle differences. That said, I have a few thoughts now that I've spent some time on my new bike.

Not surprisingly, it is light and stiff. Acceleration and climbing are very good, which you would expect. The Arione saddle is extremely comfortable, though I can't tell if the carbon seatpost does anything to dampen vibration. I do know I have far fewer saddle sores than before. :) The carbon cranks feel stiff and I there is no derailleur rubbing, even during heavy acceleration.

However, the shifting performance is the stand out feature. The 10 speed Dura-Ace drive train is simply amazing. Shifts are so effortless that you might forget you're actually pulling a cable. The best part is that this is even true for the front derailleur. A light one finger click will lift the chain on to the big ring. I still have to look down to convince myself it actually happened.

1 Comments:

At 10:13 AM, Blogger Tony said...

Hey Doug,
I've ordered a 2005 Cannodale R5000. It should arrive by the end of April. I can't wait to get into the saddle. I've been riding my Cannondale Hybrid H300 for 5 years. Its time to move up the food chain. The test ride was awesome. The gear shifting was amazing. My goal is to do a couple centuries these year, the most I've done was 66 miles on my trusty H300. I ride twice a week. One long one short ride. Do you have any pointers?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home