Saturday, January 15, 2005

New Bike

Due to an event which I'll post about soon I have been in the market for a new bike. Even though I'm partial to Cannondale I thought it might be wise to broaden my horizons. I looked at Trek, Jamis, Scott, Cervelo and others. What I noticed across all brands was that in the $3000 price range you can either get a carbon frame or high end components. I struggled with this decision. I've ridden aluminum for years and have no complaints, but then again I've never ridden carbon (or much else for that matter). Another factor that matters to me is where the frame is maufactured and how long the warranty is.

With these contraints in mind I was quickly back down to Cannondale and Trek as leading contenders (because their frames are both made in the US). Ultimately I decided to go with a Cannondale R5000. It is their top end aluminium frame with a full Dura-Ace group. Trek had a nice model with a carbon frame and full Ultegra 10 group, but it was quite a bit more money. The Cannondale was about $2600 and the Trek was $3200. I didn't think it was worth the extra cash for a carbon frame.

When the weather gets better around here I might actually take it for a ride. In the mean time, here are some pics:








2 Comments:

At 9:47 PM, Blogger Jim Carson said...

Sweet.

hey, there's no kickstand! :)

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger Doug W said...

It's such a finely tuned racing machine that a kickstand, while cool, would upset the delicate balance and cause uneven tire wear. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home