Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Dogs

What do you do when you meet a nasty dog while on your bike?

I haven't had many encounters with them. The occasional chase, but nothing of note. Last night was a bit different. Once again I was riding around a small lake during my ride home (also the site of my Creepy Night). The road around the lake is small and completely dark. It is a residential area, but the houses are set back enough that the road says virtually black. As I came up a small, steep incline a dog from the house I was approaching came tearing out and stopped at the end of his property, facing me. I stopped in my tracks. The dog was pretty large (could have done some damage) and was barking and growling. There was no way I could sprint past him because of the incline, and since he wasn't backing down at all, I just turned around and went a different way.

What would you have done in that situation?

3 Comments:

At 11:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yell "NO" "STAY" really loud and with authority. Also, use your water bottle and squirt the dog in the face if the dog won't listen. Usually spooks them enough to delay them or stop them as you ride away.

- Hans

 
At 1:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a friend who used to keep diluted ammonia in a water bottle. That's fine, as long as you remember which one is which :-)

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger Jim Carson said...

It really depends on the dog. If he stayed at the edge of his yard, I might motor by on the opposite site of the street. If hits head's down and his tail's wagging, he wants to play, and I"ll just ignore him. Growling is a cue that it's probably best to turn around.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home