Friday, January 07, 2005

CTS Update: 1/7/2005

It's been a while since I posted an update of my training with CTS, so here we go.

From October through December I was in a transition phase (the program is broken up into phases, each with different goals). My training was lighter it was generally pretty relaxing. Everything was eventful. I still rode a decent amount, but notably less than other times of the year (no complaints here!).

Now I've moved in to the foundation phase of training. The main goal for the next few months is to build up my aerobic endurance by putting in a lot of miles. When the racing season is a bit closer this will transition to more intense training and I'll start to work on race specific skills. My training is starting to pick up, peaking out at about 15 hours on the bike during 1 week this month, which doesn't include weight training sessions. Most of my rides are categorized as "EnduranceMiles". They tend to be on the longer side (1.5 - 4 hours) and have a max heartrate that gives me enough room for difficult climbs, but doesn't push me into my red zone. For me that heart rate is 156, but my average heart rate for these rides is usually significantly less.

The rides usually include some type of exercise to perform during the ride. Right now I'm mainly doing muscle building exercises on the bike (such as climbing a hill with a ridiculously hard gear). Again, these exercises will shift to the more traditional interval and other lactate threshold enhancing exercises when racing season nears.

So, that's where things stand. All I have to say is that I'm thankful for living in a relatively temperate climate where I can still ride outside several days per week in the middle of winter. I have no idea how people in cold climates do it. After an hour on the trainer I'm ready to go crazy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home