Sunday, December 19, 2004

Onfolio 2.0 Beta

I've been playing around with the beta edition of Onfolio 2.0 for the last few days. It is a kind of tool for managing the content you find online, or something like that. Frankly, I haven't quite figured out exactly what it is trying to be, but I'll tell you this, it has a great RSS reader and that is what I've been spending the most time with.

The newsreader integrates very well with Firefox and provides a much richer experience than Sage. In particular, it will periodically poll your feeds and highlight new items. It also generates a "newspaper" view for new items which shows all new items on a single page. Individual feed items can be moved into a "Readlist List" folder, allowing you to quickly scan through new items and save the ones of interest.

Of course, it has all of the issues you would expect out of a beta piece of software. A large memory footprint, unexplained pauses and general sluggishness are all part of the package. Hopefully these will be addressed in the final release, but for now you'll have to deal with a couple annoyances.

The beta can be downloaded for free here:
http://beta.onfolio.com

2 Comments:

At 12:18 AM, Blogger Jim Carson said...

Interesting that you mention Onfolio. I had played with the earlier version when it was billed as a plugin into IE to better track bookmarked information. I kept thinking "okay, so I've archived this thing, now what?' and "wow, for the time it took to start the application, I could have just printed the page to PDF.

I totally missed the RSS reader. Now that I'm using FireFox almost exlusively, Ill take a look. (And by now, this got me down a rathole tracking down the user-induced bugs in the RSS files my site generates.)

 
At 8:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jim, you didn't miss anything - the Feed reader was not in Onfolio 1.0. I hope Onfolio treats you better this time around. - Sebastian (Onfolio)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home