Thursday, November 04, 2004

Winter is here, Part 2

Fully equipped with my brighter than the sun HID headlight, I decided to take a spin around Mercer Island during my commute home. For those of you that don't know, Mercer Island sits in the middle (kinda) of Lake Washington, which is just east of Seattle. The shores of Lake Washington are dotted with the homes of Seattles rich (and sometimes famous). Mercer Island is no exception, except since it sits in the middle of the lake, the rich get to look at each other. One of the islands more notable residents is Paul Allen, of Microsoft fame. If you have a spare 40 million, there is nice cottage available on the island.

What does this have to do with the ride home? I don't know... other than the fact that the island has very few street lights on the twisty, tree lined road that runs its perimeter. It was dark and cold, but at the same time fun and peaceful. I could get used to this... now if only we could do something about the rain.

Oh, my biggest gripe is that I can't see my damn HRM in the dark. Doing a structured workout is a tad more difficult now.

2 Comments:

At 12:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's wrong with the light on your HRM? Just a quick press of the button and you got what you need :')

Btw - If you would like continuous light, here's an option. Get yourself a piece of fiber optic cable. Make sure it's shielded. Hobby shops sometimes carry it. Also, you will need to use a handlebar mounted light. A small penlight or similar will also work. Tape one end of the fiber optic to the light so that light beams out the other end. Then, tape that other end to you HRM so that the face is illuminated. Adjust the cable ends for the best illumination.

Cheers!

- Hans

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger Doug W said...

Your fibre optic cable idea is great. I will check that out. It is certainly cooler than clamping a little reading light to my handlebars. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home