Friday, November 19, 2004

Christmas Dreamin'

While I was riding home the other night I passed a yard selling Christmas trees that wasn't open earlier in the week. I'm pretty sure I must have blinked and missed Thanksgiving so I started thinking... what would my dream road bike setup look like? Let's see:

Frameset:
Cannondale Six13
It would be easy to go with a spiffy Trek frame or something handmade by an old man in Italy, but I think I'll stick with the highly rated American frames that have performed so well for me.

Wheels:
Zipp Z3 and Zipp Z4
Naturally one wheelset won't suffice. The Z3 is a good all around choice and the Z4 for those times when you need something a bit more aero. Of course I'd go with tubulars in both cases because we're in dreamworld and I can pay someone to install the damn things. I'm sure the advantage of the ceramic bearings in these are well worth the ridiculous price. ;) (I think they are > $3k these days)

Crankset:
FSA K-Force MegaExo and SRM Power Meter
Once again, two are better than one. It would have been easy to go with a Dura-Ace or Record crank, but I'll give the nod to FSA. Their updated carbon crank has adopted the external bearing sported by Dura-Ace and looks sweet. The SRM crank will serve as my power meter for training, though I'd be willing to bet this setup would be light enough to run it in competition.

Brakes:
Zero Gravity
Why be boring and go with a standard set of brakes? These things make Dura-Ace brakes look like a hunk of lead.

Derailleurs:
Shimano Dura-Ace

Cassette:
Shimano Dura-Ace
If only SRAM made a 10 speed cassette...

Pedals:
Speedplay Zero
I love my pair. For the dream machine I'd upgrade to the titanium model.

Shifters:
Shimano Dura-Ace

Saddle:
Fi'zi:k Arione

Seat Post:
Specialized Pave'
It would be easy to pick the classic Thompson Elite seatpost, or maybe an Easton carbon post, but I'll go with the new Specialized post which integrates a vibration dampener

Headset:
Chris King

Handlebar/Stem:
Full Speed Ahead Plasma

1 Comments:

At 10:49 AM, Blogger Jim Carson said...

The Fred Meyer down the hill had the inflatable santa out on Ocdtober 29th. No bike stuff, though... ("presta? huzzat?")

I like the Cannondale frames. I used to own an RS600 (a sport-touring model) and loved how light and stiff it was. It's too bad Cannondale doesn't do custom bikes.

The zero G brakes look very retro.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home