Sunday, September 12, 2004

CTS Update : 9/12/2004

Now that I've been through my first week or so of coaching, I figured an update was due. Shortly after I conducted my field test, I spent about 30 minutes on the phone with my coach. We talked about my goals and how much time I had available for training. He promised he'd have my schedule posted (on their website) by the end of the day. He did not disappoint. By the end of the day my workouts for the next month were ready for me.

Finding out your workout for the day is a simple trip to the CTS website. Each day lists the total workout time and any specific training you need to do. Virtually all workouts have heartrate limits and cadence guidelines. My first scheduled workout was on a Thursday and called for a total workout of 1:45 minutes. During the workout I had to perform two sets of "descending intervals". Each interval is an all out effort for a given amount of time. The intervals were 90, 75, 60, 45 and 30 seconds long. After each interval you rested for the duration of the interval. After 1 set I got a 10 minute break and then had to do it again. I'll tell ya... the intervals were tough, but they made my otherwise boring commute home much more interesting.

This weekend I did two hours on Saturday that included one hour of tempo pace (high end of the aerobic range) and 2.5 hours of "endurance" riding today. So far so good...


2 Comments:

At 7:10 PM, Blogger Jim Carson said...

Do any of the intervals take into consideration the terrain of your route home (which I'm intimately familiar with as being "not flat :). If it did, this would be a cool workout system because it lets you leverage existing rides. For example, I could see where blasting up Eastgate would be useful because it's a more or less constant grade and long enough to work up a good sweat.

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger Doug W said...

Yeah, it totally allows you to leverage existing rides. In fact, in all cases I've been able to integrate them into my usual routes. Generally, the intervals don't specifly if you should be going uphill or downhill. Some are a little more specific, but it really comes down pushing yourself to develop different systems.

For example, today I had to do a bunch of simple 10 second sprint intervals (with a 5 minute break between each) during my regular ride. I was out in the Snoqualmie Valley, so some were uphill, some were downhill and some were flat. It made for nice variety.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home