Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Results and a gripe

The final results of the race have been posted. The scoring is a bit strange because this event was not based on total overall time. Instead, each race paid a particular number of points for different finishing positions. In the end, total points determined overall place. If you didn't score any points, you're essentially unranked.

My gripe of the day goes back to something that has been eating at me since the road race. On the first climb I was pretty well matched with one guy, let's call him Joe. I managed to pull away from Joe after the first climb, but he got together with some other riders and caught me on the flat section of the course. Fast forward to the second climb. Joe and I are once again marking each other up the climb. Riding side by side, swapping positions, nobody could decisively claim the lead. Finally, over half way up the second climb I was able to pull away (bye Joe!). I didn't see him again, not even on the downhill.

However, as I was riding the flats back to the finish line I looked back to see a train of riders coming up behind me. As they caught me I was relieved as I realized they were from a different race. Whew! Then there he was, attached to the end of the train getting a free ride!

These riders probably caught him somewhere on the downhill and he hopped on with them. They all went on to pass me, but I was a little pissed. I worked my ass off to beat this guy and he takes a free ride with people from a different race? I thought this had to be illegal and a quick glance of the USCF rulebook confirmed it:
"3B5. Taking pace or assistance from any outside means is forbidden, including holding on to a motor vehicle or taking pace from riders in a different race that is concurrently on the same course [relegation or disqualification]."


Now, he and I were competing for a low finishing position in a low category race. It doesn't matter. So, I just want to say for the record: Joe, Fuck You.


4 Comments:

At 3:16 PM, Blogger Randal said...

It seems to me that given the results list, you could make a pretty good guess at Joe's real identity. Then you could say "Fuck You" in person. So what if he gets pissed, you know he can't catch you. OK, there is an outside chance that a train of riders would blow by and allow him to chase you down but it seems unlikely.

 
At 4:55 PM, Blogger Doug W said...

He was kind of a scrawny guy (gee, a scrawny biker?), so I could always go WWF on him after the race.

 
At 9:40 PM, Blogger Jim Carson said...

Have you read any of Arnie Baker's stuff on racing strategy? There are some excerpts in his Smart Cycling book (available at fine bookstores online) that talks about some of the tricks one can play.

You could always pack one of those metal folding chairs on your bike and whump him over the head when the "referee" is looking the other way. WWF style.

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger Randal said...

OK, now you guys have my attention. Maybe I'll have to become a bike race spectator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home