Monday, June 28, 2004

Flying Wheels Summer Century

On Saturday morning I hopped on my bike and rode down to Marymoor Park to take part in the Flying Wheels Summer Century. I met up with a friend and we set out at 9am for the 50 mile route.

I had never done one of these "social" rides before so I was looking forward to seeing what it was like. The starting area was crowded with people of all shapes and sizes. There were some serious spandex offenses going on, but I'll spare you the details of that. People took off at their leasure and everyone just rode their own pace. It was kind of like going on a ride with your closest 1000 friends.

All in all it was a pretty low key day. We got back before the finish line opened, so we parted ways and I headed home. All together I clocked 65 miles at an average speed of 17. Nothing special, just a good way to spend a Saturday morning.

3 Comments:

At 9:53 PM, Blogger Randal said...

So I don't know much about biking but I thought the "century" meant 100 miles. So when you talked about a 50 mile route, I figured you meant 50 miles each way. I s century less precise, just a longish ride?

 
At 8:36 AM, Blogger Doug W said...

No, a century is a century. I was just lazy and did one of the non-century options.

Ok, it wasn't completely my decision to not do the 100, but I won't point fingers. :)

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger Jim Carson said...

There are also "metric centuries," which are 100km (62.x miles). You see a lot more of these in the early season as a motivational aid for people who want to do a "century" but had an unproductive winter.

The randonneuring community does multiples of 100km, though their official minimum brevet is 200km. (The elite ride is the Paris-Brest-Paris, 1,200 km, next held in 2007). The randonneurs are a great bunch of folks, mostly old farts like me who want to ride a little further than social rides, but don't have the requisite physique for spraypainted clothing. >:)

Overall, I had fun at FW. - jim

 

Post a Comment

<< Home